Google has been tipped to be working on a Pixel foldable device for a few years. But this week, we might have got our first look at the rumoured Pixel Fold device, thanks to the leaked photos.
- The Pixel Fold looks like an extension of the existing Pixel lineup, which is spearheaded by the Pixel 7 series for now.
- That metallic band for the camera is likely to be continued, but most of the excitement seems to be reserved for the front.
- The Pixel Fold seems to have gone for an embedded rear camera module, and the whole construction of the device is likely to be a mix of metal and glass which has become the recipe for a premium device.
- The front outer screen also apparently houses an under-display 9.5MP front-facing camera in a punch-hole cutout. The bezels around the screen seem minimal and it looks like a regular Pixel phone from the front.
- The back looks strikingly similar to the Pixel 7 Pro with a glass finish and a triple camera system housing.
- The sides of the Pixel Fold seem to have a similar metal frame as the Pixel 7 series.
- Front Page Tech mentions a “Pixel flagship camera” on the foldable which makes us think it could sport the same cameras as the Pixel 7 Pro — 50MP main lens, 12MP ultrawide camera, and 48MP telephoto camera.
- Upon opening up the Pixel Fold, there is a large tablet-like screen that unfolds in a landscape orientation.
- The bezels on this are noticeable on the top and the bottom and there is another 9.5MP camera underneath the top bezel.
- The Pixel Fold has a USB-C charging port and the fingerprint scanner could be mounted on the side lock button — this is something we had heard of before as well.
- These are rendered images and not pictures of a functioning device so we don’t see a crease here, and the hinge is something we will have to wait and see as to how it unfolds.
- According to the leak, the phone could also be extremely heavy which could mean it is made of premium materials. It could demand a premium price as well.
- The phone could launch in Chalk (white) and Obsidian (black) colors.
- Going by the leak, the Pixel Fold could be priced at a huge $1,799.
- This is much more expensive than the Pixel 7 phones but is at par with Samsung’s Fold 4 that also launched at the same price.
If Google gives the Pixel Fold Android 12L like software, premium Pixel cameras and some of its software driven features, it could have a winner on its hands. The leaks indicate a premium design with an equally premium price tag and the Pixel Fold could give Samsung’s leading foldables a good fight.